Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Angkor Wat Temple

It is now my second time in Siem Reap to explore the Angkor Wat temple complex. On my last visit, I did not visit Angkor Wat itself, as I concentrated efforts on the other Temples.
I and my companions were up before the dawn to catch the Temple at sunrise. It was not a spectacular sunrise and as far as visual spectacles go, we did not see it at its best. The sun rose behind clouds and there was no stunning array of colours as dawn broke. Still I concentrated on trying to take some more creative photos of the silhouettes of the outer temple and surrounds and the reflections in the moat. Writing this with the benefit of hindsight, I should also have entered the temple proper to try to obtain the famous shot of the silhouette of the 5 towers.
Despite the early start there were already hundreds, if not into the thousands, of people streaming in and out of the Temple entrances. I was both surprised at the quantity and dissapointed at the inability to take photos without a large number of strangers in my pictures.
Anyway that was only a taste as the intent was to return to our hotel, have breakfast, and then return for a longer visit. I guess with hindsight we should have just stayed there and eaten at a local cafe or restaurant.
On our return to the temples out group split into smaller groups and after stopping to take some photos and then taking a different turn I found myself on my own. This didn't worry me and I slowly wandered around the complex absorbing the beauty and history and following no particular path. Having entered from the West gate, at one stage I found my self at the Eastern gate, with a view back to the temple along a tree lined path. Monkeys frequented the path and as the crowds were considerably less it was a very peaceful place.
I made my way back to the Temple proper and slowly worked my way up to the upper levels. The top most level is called the Bakan and has commanding views across the treetops to other temples and the surrounding countryside. Well worth the very steep climb. Entry to this level is restricted somewhat by the need to wear respectful clothing. I was secretly pleased to see some males refused entrance as they were wearing tank tops. Rather than accepting the ruling they became rather loud, pushy and arrogant. They never made it up. The requirement to have shoulders covered is posted in all the guide books.
Tee hee.
Not sure really how to describe the Temple. It is surrounded almost entirely by a most. The most alone is massive. Within the most is the outer wall, not designed for protection like an English Castle and moat. There is then open ground and within that the temple itself. The sheltered parts of the interior are covered in has reliefs, the passageways with these reliefs are huge. There is much of the temple shrouded in tarpaulins where restoration and conservation works are being carried out. The rest that can be seen is an intriguing mix of well preserved carvings, with crumbling walls and ceilings. The towers are wethered and corroded due to long exposure to nature, this probably adds to the charm as the outlines of the faded glory is still easily seen.
As on my first visit, after several hours, my mind was numbed and overawed, I could not take more in, so I retired for the day.
The Bludger may be having a cold beer at the moment.

Nick Smith
Nick@nicksmith.info
Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 Tab

No comments:

Post a Comment